Barco’s Nightingales Foundation is proud to be part of an international group of organizations raising funds, promoting and implementing programs to bring clean, fresh, safe water to people in desperate need. As you are aware, global temperatures have increased dramatically in recent years, causing droughts and unusual shifts in rainfall patterns affecting many developing countries where resources are already scarce.
Our program of building solar water wells in Haiti is unique among all others in several ways:
1. Barco’s Nightingales Foundation’s wells are built on the philosophy of: “If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.” We believe that building the wells, rather than only donating water, will provide water for the lifetime of a community. In this way we are investing in the lives of the people we serve.
2. The wells built by our foundation are all solar operated. This means we can place them where there is little or no access to electricity. By using solar energy, our wells are not affected by storms or power issues, ensuring continual access to healthy, clean water.
3. Our wells are built by members of the community, instilling a sense of ownership and pride, and teaching skills that can be used in the future.
4. Our solar water wells are built in one area of the world – Haiti – the poorest country in the Americas and Western Hemisphere (according to IMF). Most Haitians living on less than $2.00 per day.
5. Our wells are built in some of the remotest areas of Haiti where women and children have had to walk miles each day to obtain clean, safe water with which to cook, drink and wash. Building the wells in these villages frees up the children to attend school and the women to care for their families and or work. This enriches the life of the villages, improves health, education and economics.
We are proud of our work in building solar wells in Haiti, and in providing other resources vital to children seeking to gain an education. We hope these facts help you understand the long-term impact of your donation. Please consider joining us in our Community of Compassion and supporting work.
~Michael and Frida Donner