All of us at Barco’s Nightingales Foundation are extremely grateful that our work in Haiti was spared in the recent hurricanes. Sadly, many of our own friends and families were impacted in Texas. As such, we are proud to contribute to the Hurricane Harvey Relief effort in Texas by providing water to the City of Beaumont. This city, like others, is fighting to return to normalcy.
Our trucks delivered 4,000 large containers of water to the Southwest Texas Food Bank in Beaumont. However, there are many still in desperate need of assistance. We know our Community of Compassion will help, so we put together a few ideas on how you can make a difference.
Hurricane Relief Assistance
- Send food, water, or money to the Southwest Texas Food Bank, 3845 SML King Parkway, Beaumont, Texas, 77705. If you have questions, call 409-839-8777.
- Donate to other charities. Use the list that CNN vetted and posted on their website under Impact your World.
- Donate blood at The South Texas Blood & Tissue Center. This organization needs more than 2,000 units of blood, especially O positive and O negative.
- Donate food and clothing. Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner asks that people donate clothing, medical supplies, baby items, and food to nearby shelters.
- Feeding Texas coordinates with local food banks to supply to nearby shelters. The organization asks that people to drop off non-perishable food, bleach, and paper towels.
- The Texas Diaper Bank needs diapers. Mail them to 5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504, San Antonio, Texas, 78238. Or, drop them off at the same address.
- Donated to the Austin Disaster Relief Network. This organization needs toiletries, inflatable mattresses, undergarments, and cleaning tools. Drop them off at the Hope Family Thrift Store in Austin. Volunteer to clean up homes and affected areas.
- The Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group needs construction cleanup supplies including debris containers, truck cranes, forklifts, ladders, and nail guns.
- Donate toys and supplies so children have activities while at shelters or temporary homes. Shelters need coloring books, puzzles, and other toys.
However you contribute, your efforts are greatly appreciated. We pray that everyone impacted by the recent weather receives the assistance they need to recover completely.
In addition, we want to thank our Community of Compassion for your continued assistance and support of our projects in the US and Haiti.
~Michael and Frida Donner